Northern Svalbard - 15-meter Landsat 7 and 8
TerraColor Arctic Ocean Satellite Imagery
In response to the rapidly increasing demand for high quality geodata of the Arctic Ocean, we now provide our TerraColor satellite imagery in map projections optimized for visualizing the northern polar areas. Satellite images contain a wealth of information and provide a valuable complement to other types of mapping data. Rendering the imagery using projections such as Polar Stereographic and Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area minimizes distortion and more accurately portrays the sizes and shapes of landmasses and distances between them. This dataset provides an accurate, high-value mapping component for scientific research, navigation, logistics, and natural resource exploration, and makes an ideal base map for web mapping portals.
The TerraColor Arctic Ocean base map portrays all major landmasses and islands within the Arctic Circle in minimal ice conditions. The dataset can be used as a stand-alone product, or in conjunction with other types of geodata (DEMs, high resolution imagery, topo maps, geophysics, etc). TerraColor is your solution for a comprehensive view of the complete Arctic Circle in one easy-to-use integrated product.
TerraColor Features (Click here for PDF version):
- Complete geographic coverage from 60 to 90 degrees North, no gaps or holes
- Nearly cloud-free imagery with almost all islands and coastlines clearly visible
- All imagery 60 to 82.6 degrees north processed at 15-meter spatial resolution using orthorectified imagery from the Landsat 7 and Landsat 8 satellites
- 15-meter spatial resolution (pixel size) is suitable for mapping at scales of 1:60,000 and higher
- Landmasses north of 82.6 degrees (the northern tips of Greenland and the Canadian Arctic) are rendered using 250-meter 2013 MODIS imagery
- Detailed mask to remove clouds, ice and image edges from ocean areas for a "clean" look
- Options to fill ocean areas with blue water, bathymetric shaded relief, or custom fill
- Bathymetric shaded relief image derived from the the latest International Bathymetric Chart of the Arctic Ocean (IBCAO) version 3 data
- Includes previously unreleased 15-meter imagery of Svalbard (Norway), Franz Josef Land (Russia), and Severnaya Zemlya (Russia)
- Over 500GB of imagery included, available in compressed and uncompressed image formats for easy loading into mapping software